Monday

Hello! Welcome to Knitcake. Wow, I've been wanting to do the blog thing for awhile so its really exciting to finally be doing it. Think I'll just jump in and talk about what I'm working on now.

First up are socks, or sock in progress. Now I've been knitting for over twelve years, even worked in a knit shop for a long time when I lived in Chicago, but I have never knit a pair of socks. It has been the fear of double pointed needles thing, also just really sucked at it. Could not get rid of the really, really annoying ladders. Gave up, lost interest. Then I started wearing clogs, suddenly all my faded black socks with worn out heels were bugging me. So after many false starts I've finally got it going and this pair I WILL FINISH. Part of what inspired me was seeing socks in progress on My Life In Stitches , oh my gosh the colors, the big stripes, loved the yarn. So I ordered some of that yarn, in a couple different colors. The pattern I'm following is from Ann Budd's, The Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns. Somehow I've gotten the really, really annoying ladder thing under control, but knitting this tight is killing my hands so the next pair will have to be a looser gauge, even if it means they will wear out faster. Actually a little farther along now, getting ready to do the heel gusset.

I love reading Knit and Tonic , and I've love the idea of knitting from the top down. So this is the Marilyn's Not-So-Shrunken Cardigan, which you can purchase on her blog, and it has been a lot of fun to work on. When this is done I'm going to knit a top down cardigan in a cool fuzzy green yarn I bought a while ago and make up the pattern myself, gulp.

Not very exciting photo but trust me this is a fun way to knit a garment, plus you can try it on as you make it. The only thing I'm doing different is I'm doing the sleeves back and forth on the circular's,meaning I will have sleeve seams, easier to work on while traveling.
So today is the Fall Yarn Festival at Windsor Button, 20% off on yarn, ohhh I don't know if I can resist, so don't need more yarn, soooo should not be spending more money on yarn.
Knitcake is very much a learning thing for me, so stay tuned for links and things, and please excuse any mistakes, run on sentences and such. Bye.

No comments:

Blog Archive